Sunday, June 10, 2012

Growing Low Cost Healthy Strawberry Plants .


I have had some strawberry plants growing in my garden.  
They reproduced and made more plants.

I wasn't, however getting many strawberries!   
The strawberries that were produced ended up
bitten by bugs,
wilty from water,
stolen by squirrels,
or beaten by birds! 

I pretty much gave up on the plants.   They were just taking up space in my garden.

But...it was either let the plants go to waste,
or do
some
thing
with
them.  
And YOU KNOW,
I am not big on waste!





So with alittle bit of effort, I changed my strawberry strategy.   They became hanging planters!

Of course, I did not want to have to spend money to make these guys work.   The idea is to save money, not spend money!

 So, step 1.   I took the planters the strawberries came in, took the plant out, and saved the dirt.




Step 2. Turn the planter upside down.  Make about 6 cuts , each about two inches long radiating from the hole on the bottom of the planter. (Like rays coming from the sun)  This creates an easy opening that enlarges enough to put the plant in.

Step 3.  Carefully poke the strawberry plant into the bottom of the planter.    The cuts you have made should make this easy.   Once the plant is in. . . carefully pull the planter hole
closed around the plant.

Step 4.   Now, with the plant hanging upside down, fill the planter back up with dirt.  Be careful not to break your plant while you do this.

Step 5.   This is what determines how you hang your plant.   You can make your own hangers in so many various ways.   I cheaped and easied out on this step because I was tired!  
All I did is make a hole on the side of the planter!
then...Step 6.   I hung the planters on the fence post!...and watered!!!

The results have been dramatic!
Almost overnight, the bugs quit bugging, the squirrels stopped stealing, and the water stopped wilting!  The drainage was perfect.   I have only lost one
strawberry so far to a bird!   Unbelievable!  I would never try to plant them the old way again!
Happy Hanging! 

                                           
                                            These just picked!  

No comments:

Post a Comment