Thursday, January 16, 2014

Integrity in craftsmanship.

So, the roofing saga continues.   I went up in the attic last night around 9 pm as an afterthought.    I figured I should check the work the roofers did before I hand the money over.

First thing to greet me was a shattered roofing section, then gaps in the wood where you could see the tar paper.   I continued on to see the area with the original leaking problem had not been replaced, but it had been covered over.   *Sigh.

I made a nice little video of my findings and sent it to the manager.    Let us
just say that today at 8 am a roofer was on my roof....the manager showed up, and the area supervisor came by.   They will be replacing four areas of the roof.

But, I can't point fingers.  One thing I have found about a relationship with God, is things are NEVER about the other person's flaws.   They are always about my relationships, my life, my impact on others, my integrity.  "Why do you point out the speck in another's eye, when you have a plank of wood in your own!"  

"All have sinned and fallen short."

People are depending on you, me to do our jobs.   No matter how mundane, no matter how glorified.   People are counting on us to do our jobs correctly.  And they are expecting to not have to backtrack on what we have done.

It is not about how these employee's performed when they thought no one was watching....   It is about how do I perform when I think no one is watching?  Even in the little things.   How do I spend my time when my spouse is not around?   Do I waste it?   How do I perform even the little duties of my day? 

I need to make sure my attitude doesn't become complacent.  I need to make sure my craftsmanship is excellent.  I need to make sure that I never get so used to the way things slide that I begin to flow downstream with the general malaise.  

I am not responsible for how others act, only how I act.  My reward does not come from men, but from God.   How is my craftsmanship when it is just me, my integrity, and God?    How I do even the smallest things affects other people, my boss, my supervisors, my family and friends.  

"Whatever I do, whether  I am eating or drinking, do all for the glory of God."   .....and do not lose heart.  He is the Lord of the little things, no matter how small they may seem, they all matter.  It is the daily striving that counts.   The obeying of His will day in and day out.   Perseverance. 




No comments:

Post a Comment