Friday, January 31, 2014

Obsessed - Possessed?

Worship.

If all my hopes are in other people,
or another person,
if all my hopes and thoughts are spun around them...
Then I am bound to be hurt and disappointed,
because sooner or later,
they will betray the fact that they are human.
Whether it is
my spouse,
a friend,
a family member,
a leader,
a doctor,
a preacher......
They are fallible people just like me.
They are not God and should not be treated as a god.

But it is not just people.
Anything can become a god for me.
What do I worship? 

Worship is simply focus. 
Voluntary preoccupation.

"When I devote my most valuable mental attention to
something or someone
...............that is worship."
Anxiety, money, health, relationships, job, marriage......

"Fear (awe, worship, attention) of God
.............is the beginning of Wisdom."

As I spend time in worship, prayer, attention to God,
I begin to grow in knowledge of what He wants of me.

As I grow in knowledge of what He wants
and
Who He IS,
I realize that others around me are NOT God.
They are like me,
travellers,
journeying through life.
Persons like me who trip and fall,
succeed or fail,
But they are the same as me.
Not greater.
Not lesser.
Not perfect.
Not demons.
Deserving my respect and love,
But not my worship.

Lord, help me to worship You.
Worshiping You helps free others from my unrealistic expectations.
It frees them to be who they are.
It frees me to love them in a healthy way

No comments:

Post a Comment