Thursday, August 14, 2014

Sometimes, I choose the lower road of selfish reaction.

Have you said your prayers?
No.
Why not?
Because  there is nothing I want.

Our time of reflecting on God's word is a chance to get away from our own words and thoughts to receive God's thoughts, to learn from Him.   In prayer we open ourselves to "a transformation of conscience and conciousness with all that can lead to.    One's life will never be the same again"  - Basil Pennington

Our time of prayer may lead us to see ourselves or others in a  whole new light.
We may receive a new insight or peace of mind,
or a call to a specific aciton.
Sometimes it may seem that we receive nothing from our time of prayer.
That is all right too.
Sometimes it is enough just to be close to God,
just because we love Him.

Lord you know me, and you know my reactions, my heart, my thoughts.
I know I am not God.
Please protect my relationships.

Sometimes, I choose my emotions at the expense of my relationships.
Instead of rising above my feelings and seeking the higher ground of Godly virtue,
I chose the lower road of selfish reaction.

If we want to lay hold of the life God promised us, we simply cannot take our cues from our emotional reactions to life circumstances.   We lose ground every time we allow our emotional whims or selfish desires to win the day.

Help me to lean on You,
not myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment