Saturday, May 17, 2014

Lord of the Rings Cake

Treebeard.  He is completely edible except for three toothpicks.
 
 Lord of the Rings
Two Towers

Ring is made from fondant!  Hand engraved!



ORCS are nearby!This sword is 100% edible!

A friend asked me to make this cake for a party.

It was very fun to make!

I use several basic ingredients for my project cakes:
4 good cake mixes with pudding in the mix.
2 bags of marshamellows for fondant and rice krispies.
2 bags of confectioners sugar for frosting and fondant.
a dozen eggs for the cake.
2 pounds of butter for frosting and cake and rice krispies.
2 premade frosting containers.   $1.50 each.


For this cake I also needed licorice which I used for the legs.

After I get my ingredients together, I decide what I am going to use
as a base design.   THen I bake the cake with that design in mind.

For the Lord of the rings cake I made the four cake mixes.  I use aluminum foil on the bottoms of the pans because it makes it easy for me to get the cakes out of the pan.







I used a 9x13 pan.

After the cakes baked, I let them cool, glazed with frosting
and then covered well and froze.

Next I made a half batch of rice krispies treats.

I started to shape the figures I needed to compliment the cake.

I covered the shapes with chocolate bark.
I tried the Bakers dipping chocolate
on the spider legs,
but went back to the almond bark.
The Baker's dipping chocolate didn't hold the shape.


Next I made the fondant which I also used in the decorative accessories.







The sword was completely made of fondant,
so was the ring!
I used the chocolate bark to make the tower silhouettes.   I made the mold for the silhouettes from aluminum foil, and then poured the chocolate into the mold.   Let it cool, and then peel the foil off!    If it breaks at all, just 'glue' it back together with some more chocolate!







In my designing the cake, I checked EBAY for any items that I could use that would be within the budget.    I ended up ordering the Lord of the Rings Sugar topping.   THese sugar toppings are super easy to use!.
 
 

I arranged the cake and all the accessories.
I thought it looked pretty good.
But my daughter pointed out that it
need a bit of decorating still.
Something to tie it all together!

I knew she was right, so I started going crazy with the homemade buttercream yellow frosting.   It was delicious!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment