Sunday, May 18, 2014

I turned my back to him.

"The door squeaks and creeks, shoes stomp snow; my husband drops his bags on the floor.   Home safe.   Both glad and mad, I roll over in bed and turn my back to him.   He said he'd be home hours ago.   He forgot to call.   He's a godly man, a good man, a hardworking man.   But sometimes still, he works too much.   Most women would do anything for such a loving, patient husband.   And I am grateful he is mine.  But this is our struggle:  engaging and losing touch; connecting and disconnecting again; saying I love you and living I love you.

God whispered to me, "What did you want that you didn't receive from him?"   I pressed my lips to the pillow and whispered under my breath"engagement". 

God whispered back to me,
"So your sin of disengagement is okay? 
 Is this the highest ground you can find??"  

I killed the potential for a moment of joy in my sorrow.   I even interrupted growth in my marriage by my earthbound response.   God forgive me.

I chose to honor my emotions at the expense of my marriage.   Instead of rising above my feelings and seeking the higher ground of godly virtue, I chose the lower road of selfish reaction.

In every season, hidden in every choice, in every step, and in every moment, is the potential for nourishment or poison, for life or death.   Hard as it is to face, and though we hate the thought of it, sometimes, for whatever reason, we'll step off of God's nourishing path and plop our foot right down in the mud and mess of our own humanity.  


So what do we do?
We plop our feet in the basin and ask God to wash away our mess. 

We humble ourselves and ask Him to forgive us.
 
As we move forward in our faith journey, we'll walk through seasons that try our faith and threaten our footing.   We'll trip and fall and sometimes miss the high road.  
And in it all, we do well to remember that mercies await us at every turn.  

Forgiveness is ours for the asking.
-Susie Larson

It is God who arms me with strength, and makes my way perfect.
He makes my feet like the feet of deer,
and sets me on my high places.
-psalm 18

No comments:

Post a Comment