Saturday, March 22, 2014

Do not be overcome with evil, but overcome evil with good.

I came home from work late at night,
only to be greeted by my intoxicated neighbor.
He told me that the neighbor who lives on the other side of me
put a gun to him, and threatened to kill him.
He said he shot the gun in the air several times.
I came inside and my husband told me that indeed several shots had been fired.  Nobody bothered to call the police!
I was furious!   I thought of the danger to us, the stupidity,
the fact that now that they had gotten away with it, maybe they would do it again.   I was livid, but did not know what to do.   I went to bed.   Angry.

I woke up still angry.  Thinking about the danger.   Also thinking about the fact that the next door neighbor is a parolee.  Furious that my husband didn't call the police.

I had my prayer time. 

Do not let yourself be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
Romans 12:21   

"God's word says people need a relationship with Him, not a religion.   If a young man is in prison because he never knew the love of a father, never had a relationship with his father, how is religion going to help him.   Religious people love conditionally, they love those who are just like them.   Anyone who is different from them, frightens them.   Religious people want everyone to 'clean up'.   The problem is, their definition of clean up differs widely.   Unconditional love does not allow people to remain the same, instead it loves them while they are changing". 
reduce me to love by joyce meyer

Before I had my prayer time I was furious with my husband, my neighbors, myself.    I was afraid because of what had happened the night before.
God gave me peace again. 

God knows that we are capable of loving,
even when we don't feel it.
He loves us enough to cover us.
He knows that we have the capacity to be astoundingly extradordinary,
not in spite of where we have been, but because of it.

He gave me freedom to love again.  And not be afraid.
But don't get me wrong,
if I am home, and that happens when I am home,
I WILL call the police.


No comments:

Post a Comment