Sunday, March 23, 2014

Iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend.

As I was growing up,
John Wayne was the archetypal American male. 
Self sufficient, independent.
Weakness was when a person needed another persons help.
 
 
However, as I read scripture,
I realize how skewed that view is.
 
Iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend.
Proverbs 27:17
 
Where no counsel is, the people fall:
but in the multitude of counselors there is safety
Proverbs 11:14
 
"I can do all things through Christ
who strengthens me."
Philipians 4:13
 
Men of scripture, like, St. Paul concluded that
we might not rely on ourselves, but on God.
 
We face an unkown future,
We don't know what lies ahead.
We went to visit a friend who was diagnosed with lung cancer.
They give her a year to live.
What would I do if I was told I had a year to live?
Then, I realized, in reality, I only have this moment.
I may have less than a day to live!
Only God knows.
 
Life is a learning opportunity.
I have to ask God what He wants me to learn from the situations I face.
Daily prayer prepares me to receive direction and intruction from Him.
He often encourages me with His presence, promises,
and interprets circumstances of life.
Time after time,
as I experience God's faithfulness, grace, and power,
I hope I can gain the confidence to say
"I can do all things through God,
who gives me strength.
 
Trusting in God may mean regrouping with Him until the fog clears so we know how to take the next step.
 
Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
to not depend on your own understanding.
Seek His will in all you do
and He will show you what path to take.
Proverbs 3:5-6 

No comments:

Post a Comment