Monday, February 17, 2014

February 12 - PAX ICE STORM

Phone is not working.
Power is out.
I am listening as tree limbs are falling!
I watch several fall.
Camera is dead.
Another tree limb is falling.
At around noon I go outside.
Just now, a tree limb fell behind the house.
Then to the right,
a neighbors tree comes crashing down.
I take a picture (with my phone) of one tree that was heavy from the ice.
Then I go to the front of our house.
I hear at least two trees losing limbs with loud crackling.
My phone reception is out as well as my power.
My camera is dead.
I have no vehicle.
I go back inside.
I hear a loud crash.
The tree I just took a picture of,
has fallen! 
 
As I am writing this I am at the window.
Another tree limb just crashed to the ground.
It is reminding me of hurricane Hugo.
I hope everyone is safe.
It is raining hard.
I have my head lamp on to see.
It is dark and it is dropping in temperature.
I have layers of clothing on to try to keep warm.
Besides the cold and the constant sound of trees crackling and falling.....
Nah, never mind, I was going to say that having no internet was nice.
Nope. That would be a lie. I miss all of you!
I just heard a large thud of a big tree, and now, some more.
It sounds like they are hitting things as they are coming down.
Thinking maybe I should have bought dog food and that jar of peanut butter....
And another tree limb just came crashing down.
1:12 pm. Definitely not a day to walk in Wassamassaw Park.

Just now there is a loud thump in the park of something getting hit.
I decide to clean dishes and put away laundry while there is still some light.
Another limb crackling down.
Might as well assume that there is no power for a day or two.
Another limb breaks close to our house
....and another tree limb goes down right after that!
Might as well get lights and candles out for tonight.
Thinking, I hope my work knows I am not coming in.
Wow, another loud crackling as a tree limb crackles and falls to the ground.
Think the mailman is coming? ; )
Wow! No Way!!!! Right after I write that, the mail man shows up!
And another tree limb crashing down ....and now another!
Hmmm, maybe pizza delivery? ...Oh, no phone or internet.... bummer....

I hope my husband is ok.
It just occurred to me that he might not be home for a while.
I laugh at myself as I keep trying to turn on light switches that have no power.
I wonder how my children, their spouses and the babies are.
Another loud thud.
And now the crackling of two more branches.
Not sure if they are ready to fall or not. 
 
So proud of myself for keeping a phone book since the internet is out.....
then I realize... DUH, no phone service anyway.
Glad we got the little space heaters.
Oh...never mind, they are electric.
My husband comes home.
We leave to check on our children.
Find a store that is open and get some dinner to bring over to them.
They are In the dark too.
The radio announcer says,
"trees down, powerlines down, JUST AVOID SUMMERVILLE."

9:30 now.
It is so bizarre how neighbors right next to each other...
-some have power....some don't.
My whole family does not.
Less then fifty degrees in our house.
It is amazing how dark and cold and no power can make individuals cranky.
It is also interesting how any light makes you feel hopeful and warmer.
It is 1:45 am I can't sleep.
I keep hearing thuds and bumps. I go into the living room.
Almost fall asleep when I heard a loud boom....
like a limb falling on something.
Almost fall asleep again when there is a sudden burst of light.
Then a boom. A transformer has blown.
Now the wind chimes are clinking.
The wind must be picking up.
2:01 am Now it is raining.
One street down they all have lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment